Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sunday's Theme At The Red Planet 08-17-08

"Life Changing"

Describe in a poem or prose, how someone or something had a huge impact or influence in your life:

Whether it was a friend, family member, or a loved one who was quite an inspiration to you.

It could be something that came from a total stranger...words of wisdom, something said or done at the right place and time; something that had a lasting effect.

A book that stands out in your mind to this very day, or a movie that was so emotional or dramatic, you can't ever forget it.

Or a song or poem that fills your mind with nothing but sweet memories and cherishable thoughts.

Happy writing, folks! I'm sure you'll get those wheels turning soon; speaking of which, I can hear mine spinning right now, or is that the echo vibrating inside this here hollow shell? Hmmm!

1 comment:

Dr-J said...

A Woman called, "C"

I am a collection of my experiences. There are many things that had a huge impact or influence in your life:
My parents, my fourth and fifth grade teacher, my seventh grade guidance counselor, the undergraduate professor that always believed in me, and the editor of a prestigious journal that told me I could write, were all quite an inspiration.

Something that came from a total stranger...words of wisdom, something said or done at the right place and time; something that had a lasting effect, well a boxer and a gentleman made comments that boosted my happiness.

A book that stands out in my mind to this very day is Microbe Hunters. A movie that I can't forget is -In the Garden of the Finzi-Continis-

But, the challenge is to, "Describe in a poem or prose, how someone or something had a huge impact or influence in [my] life." So for that, while concurrently thanking all the others, I will describe a woman called "C".

C is big, a self-defense mechanism for having been sexually abused as a child. C was the unfavored of three children. Her family didn't believe she was being abused by a family friend.

C made a family of other unwanted. She made them lovable, approachable, human, when society didn't. She took in cranky elderly and multiply handicapped adults and turned them into a magical family, into people who belonged, not only in her home but in the whole community. C transformed a whole city from uncaring into people who could love the untouchables.

C exemplifies the, "turn the other cheek," philosophy when met with what appear as unbearable challenges. C trusts God.

C is now thin and beautiful, having overcome her own history of challenges. C is an inspiration to us all, and especially to me. I realized we all have something to contribute back to society, to God's work here. We are all special.

Thank you, C.